Omicron Surge Impacting Transit Staff

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Caleb Oldenburg
(@caleb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The cumulative number of COVID cases noted by the TSA jumped from 272 on Dec. 7 to 367 on Friday, representing a 35 percent spike in a little over a month. That dwarfs the 9 percent rise reported between September and early December.

TSA spokesman Robert Langston said the surge in Las Vegas mirrors what the agency is seeing in other communities it serves nationwide.

“While the agency is monitoring the situation closely for operational impacts, TSA has been fortunate thus far,” Langston said. “Checkpoint staffing may be altered at airports going forward as needed to address the seasonal decrease in passenger volume and possible changes in staffing availability. This actually helps us manage passenger throughput and keep wait times down.”

Source: https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/news-columns/road-warrior/omicron-surge-impacting-las-vegas-transit-staffs-2514575/

What a mess! I had no idea people were getting stuck in Vegas over this. I am glad I didn't plan a trip for early in the year. I would have been pretty mad considering I would not have been able to miss work.

FifteenGreen Doh
(@fifteengreen)
Estimable Member

I knew it was bad in December but I had no idea it was still an issue. That can't be good. Yeah it probably is a good idea to avoid going unless you have time to spare. Must be nice having a private jet or plane in 2022 lol!

ReplyQuote
Lucas Brown
(@lucas)
Estimable Member

Yup, just read about this last night. 

I expect it only to continue. They are blaming the virus but no one is talking about all the staff that these airlines fired over not getting the vaccine. Some people have health conditions and can't get them but I guess that doesn't matter to these airlines. 

ReplyQuote
Shelly Ann
(@poweruser)
Eminent Member

I am hopeful that this is doing to end this year. Everything I have read and what has recently been happening is implying things will be "back to normal" in terms of masks, mandates, vaccine checks, etc. by April or May.

ReplyQuote
Juliant
(@juliant)
Estimable Member

Oh boy... Well this is a bigger mess than I had originally thought. I am hoping things get sorted soon for people who got stuck. I would hate to be in that position! 

ReplyQuote
FifteenGreen Doh
(@fifteengreen)
Estimable Member

Has anyone seen if the numbers are going down yet? I know several people who are sick from it right now. Nothing serious though. Most people just have a mild cold of sorts. They tested positive though so I am assuming this is the variant they got.  I have yet to get COVID at all even though I work at a hospital. 

ReplyQuote
Shelly Ann
(@poweruser)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @fifteengreen

Has anyone seen if the numbers are going down yet? I know several people who are sick from it right now. Nothing serious though. Most people just have a mild cold of sorts. They tested positive though so I am assuming this is the variant they got.  I have yet to get COVID at all even though I work at a hospital. 

Numbers are up in some areas but no one seems to be dying from the virus much at all. I know someone who works at a local hospital and they said no one has died from covid since September. She said there were only maybe a dozen "severe" cases since then where people had to stay for 3 to 10 days. Several were newborns and people who already had chronic conditions.

ReplyQuote
Share: