40th Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day Parade

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Caleb Oldenburg
(@caleb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Monday kicks off an entire week of events happening in King's honor called King Week that will include church services, an awards program, a scholarship banquet and more.

The first ever MLK Day parade in Las Vegas took place in 1982 with only 13 entries. Currently, that parade has grown into a beloved tradition in downtown Las Vegas with tens of thousands of attendees.

Source: https://www.ktnv.com/news/40th-annual-martin-luther-king-jr-day-parade-in-downtown-las-vegas

Has anyone ever gone to this event? I had no idea it had been going for 40 years. A family friend attended one of them in the late '90s. I think it is great they keep this going. MLK was a great man. 

FifteenGreen Doh
(@fifteengreen)
Estimable Member

I have been to Vegas several times but I never even heard of this as being a thing. I am not sure how or why I never have. That is pretty awesome they keep the tradition going. I am glad they have done so for 40 years. 

ReplyQuote
Lucas Brown
(@lucas)
Estimable Member

Yeah, this has been going for a long time. I guess people who don't go early in the year would know about it. It doesn't get much coverage outside of local reporting and papers. 

ReplyQuote
Shelly Ann
(@poweruser)
Eminent Member

I have never been but I heard about it years ago. I had a friend whose father went every year. He was around for MLK as a young man and viewed him as a hero and an icon so he likes to take part in this every year to celebrate the man. I am not sure if he still goes or not. My friend had moved out of state and we lost touch.

ReplyQuote
Caleb Oldenburg
(@caleb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @fifteengreen

I have been to Vegas several times but I never even heard of this as being a thing. I am not sure how or why I never have. That is pretty awesome they keep the tradition going. I am glad they have done so for 40 years. 

It seems like most people don't know about it unless they are locals or frequent visitors. I did see a few news stories on it covering footage and things but it was only a handful of outlets closer to the area.

ReplyQuote
Share: