Has anyone tried th...

Notifications
Clear all

Has anyone tried the $20 trick in Vegas?

6 Posts
5 Users
2 Likes
Lucas Brown
(@lucas)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Supposedly if you show a $20 bill in a hotel you can get a better room. You have to do this as you are checking in. I asked friends and family who have gone and they never heard of such a thing. It is new to me! I only just heard about it the other day. 

Elvis Geek
(@elvisgeek)
Eminent Member

Tried it once at Planet Hollywood and it did not work... they offered an upgrade to pay the difference. He was nice about the offer and I ended up giving him the $20 anywhere because I felt stupid if I did not.

ReplyQuote
Robby J
(@mrrobot)
Eminent Member

I can't say I've ever heard of this either. Is it supposed to make you look richer so that the hotel would consider you for a better room? 

I imagine some places will just ask you to upgrade with the $20. 

ReplyQuote
Fit Travel
(@fittravel)
Estimable Member

I think this worked in like the '80s and '90s but it certainly won't work today. $20 is nothing these days. I think they likely get $20 tips on a daily basis. Why would they put the effort into finding you a better room for such little money? 

ReplyQuote
Lucas Brown
(@lucas)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @fittravel

I think this worked in like the '80s and '90s but it certainly won't work today. $20 is nothing these days. I think they likely get $20 tips on a daily basis. Why would they put the effort into finding you a better room for such little money? 

This is exactly what I was thinking when I heard about it. You'd have to give out a lot more to get something pushed in your favor. I can bet you people are offering $100+ for stuff like this these days.

ReplyQuote
Morgana G
(@morgana)
Trusted Member

I think it's because of all the sites out there that offer ways of getting cheap rooms. So they see it no point to do this anymore. That's what I think anyway. 

I could see giving them $20 in the 80s or 90s being a possible trick, but with the invention of the internet and those sites I mentioned, it's probably pointless to try these days. 

On top of that, we're talking about Vegas here, I doubt most would upgrade you for just $20. But I could be wrong. 

ReplyQuote
Share: